Summer Camp Leaders
Job Posting: Canada Summer Jobs 2022
Position Type: Seasonal job, full-time (35 hours per week)
Location: Outdoors and in-office
Wage: $18.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
Duration: 315 hours per contract
Anticipated Start Date: Thursday June 23, 2022
Deadline to apply: Accepting applications until the positions are filled
The Alouette River Management Society (ARMS) is seeking two (2) Summer Camp Leaders for our youth programming in Maple Ridge.
Primary Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support the ARMS Eco-Camps Supervisor to plan and prepare a variety of outdoor summer camps for children aged 5 to 12 years.
• Provide supervision and leadership for a variety of recreation, environmental and STEAM-based activities for campers.
• Design, develop summer camp activities and promote using social media.
• Liaise with parents, ARMS staff, and guest speakers.
• Plan and deliver nature-themed day camps for children in an outdoor setting.
• Provide children with an engaging, fun, and meaningful day camp experience.
• Work in collaboration with high school volunteers.
• Communicate effectively with parents and campers.
• Debrief daily with Eco-Camp supervisor and other summer staff.
• Clean up and tear-down each day camps are in session.
• Assist with community outreach activities as needed.
• Represent ARMS in a professional, caring, reliable, and enthusiastic manner.
• Follow ARMS and COVID-19 protocol to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all campers, staff, volunteers, and the public.
• Complete other related office work or stewardship activities as required by the supervising staff.
• Remote work from home may be required when camps are not in session.
• Work outside, rain or shine.
All candidates must meet the following requirements. They must be:
• Between the ages of 15 and 30 at the commencement of employment.
• A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment.
• Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations; have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment.
• Willing to undergo a Criminal Record Check.
• Able to lift tents, tools, tables, bags of supplies etc.
• Access to your own transportation as we are not on transit routes.
• Able to have access to a laptop, internet connection (for remote work), cell phone.
• Willing to work occasional weekends or evenings as required.
Preferred but not mandatory:
• Some post-secondary education and/or a strong background in early childhood or K-12 education, ecology, biology, geological or earth sciences or a related field.
• Willing to acquire an up to date and clear police criminal records check (working with children and/or vulnerable adults.
• Valid basic first aid certificate preferred.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
• Creative self-starter who wants to work with children.
• Compassionate, energetic.
• Reliable with a demonstrated professional attitude.
• Experience leading groups of school-aged children in a camp setting.
• Willingness to work outdoors in all weather.
• Demonstrated team-player.
• Dedication to environmental awareness and sustainable living.
• Keen to learn about the Alouette River Management Society, some local flora and fauna of the Alouette Watershed.
ARMS is a not-for-profit registered charitable organization committed to the protection and enhancement of the Alouette River Watershed in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows, BC. We are dedicated to public awareness and education concerning the Alouette Watershed and environmental issues. ARMS is an equal opportunity employer that respects the individual human rights in Canada, including the values underlying the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as other rights. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
How to apply:
Stage 1 – Answer the mandatory questions at this link: Eligibility Requirement Questions (Click Here)
Send the following in PDF format to Greta Borick-Cunningham, Executive Director at arms(at)alouetteriver.org with “Summer Camp Leader _AR002” in the subject line.
1. Cover letter that clearly explains why you are interested in this position and how you will support ARMS in the delivery of our mission and vision. Please title the file e.g. “JohnSample_CoverLetterAR002.doc”.
2. Resume which clearly explains your skills, experience (paid or unpaid), and/or education as suited to the posted job description. Please title the file e.g. “JohnSample_ResumeAR001.pdf”.
Stage 2 – Candidates who move onto the interview stage will be selected and emailed. Please have 3 references ready to send to us if requested. All interviews will take place virtually with the successful applicants.
❖ We kindly ask that applications be sent by email only and that you do not phone.
❖ Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
❖ Due to the high number of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
Thank you for your interest in applying to the Alouette River Management Society.
This position is funded by the Government of Canada by the Government of Canada.