Job Posting: Canada Summer Jobs 2020
Job No.: AR001
Position Name: Eco-Camps Counsellor
Position Type: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Wage: $16.50 per hour (required vehicle use/parking reimbursed at 0.54c/km)
Duration: 8 weeks (280 hours)
Anticipated Start Date: 29 June, 2020
Anticipated End Date: 22 August, 2020
Deadline for applications: Accepting now until the position is filled
The Alouette River Management Society (ARMS) is seeking two (2) Eco-Camp Counsellors for our youth camps, and virtual outreach activities in Maple Ridge region. The Eco-Camps Counsellors will:
- Support the ARMS Eco-Camps Supervisor to plan and prepare a variety of environmental summer camps for children aged 6 to 12 years
- Provide supervision and leadership for a variety of recreation, environmental and STEAM-based activities for campers
- Design, develop summer camp storytelling and promote using social media
- Liaise with parents, municipal staff, ARMS staff, and guest speakers
- Virtual outreach activities……..
- Learn about the Alouette River Management Society, Allco Fish Hatchery and Allco Park, ecological importance and history of the Alouette Watershed, some local flora and fauna of the Alouette Watershed
- Plan and deliver nature-themed day camps to children ages 5 to 12 years old
- Follow ARMS and COVID-19 protocol to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all campers and staff
- Provide campers with an educational, fun and meaningful experience
- Work alongside volunteers and junior counselors
- Communicate effectively with parents and campers
- Debrief daily with Eco-Camp supervisor and other summer staff
- Clean up and tear-down each day camps are in session
- Represent ARMS in a professional, reliable, and enthusiastic manner at all times
- Complete other activities as required by the Executive Director and/or other supervising staff
- Remote work from home may be required when camps are not in session
- Work outside, rain or shine
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 30
- Some post-secondary education and/or a strong background in ecology, biology, education or a related field
- Current certification in standard first aid AND a clear criminal record check obtained prior to the start date
- Own laptop
- Valid and clear BC driver’s license and own vehicle a must (some work requires moving equipment, event gear)
- Self-starter with compassion and drive to work with children
- Experience leading groups of school aged children in a camp setting
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather
- Demonstrated team-player
- Demonstrated professional and mature attitude
- Dedication to environmental awareness and sustainable living
- Receive valuable employment experience in camp and education planning and delivery, environmental stewardship skills, leadership, marketing
- Gain experience working with children of various ages
- Enhance your communication, interpretive and public education skills
- Receive training on the ecology and history of the Alouette Watershed
- Contribute to the community by working for a grass-roots environmental group
ARMS is a not-for-profit registered charitable organization committed to the protection and enhancement of the Alouette River Watershed in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows, BC. We are dedicated to public awareness and education concerning the Alouette Watershed and environmental issues. ARMS is an equal opportunity employer that respects the individual human rights in Canada, including the values underlying the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as other rights. We are a small but dedicated group of local people who are passionate about making a difference to our waterways, ecological health and the quality of life for all species that depend on the Alouette River. The Executive Director and/or the Environmental Projects & Communications Coordinator are available at all times for staff to discuss any issues or conflicts they are experiencing. We also value and strive to foster a healthy work/life balance for all staff.
Please submit a cover letter that expresses directly why you are interested in this position and that clearly aligns with how you meet the requirements. Submit your resume that clearly outlines all relevant work experience (paid or unpaid) and include 2-3 references (email address and/or cell and work number).
Please email your resume and cover letter to Greta Borick-Cunningham, Executive Director at arms(at)alouetteriver.org with “Eco-Camp Counsellor_AR001” in the subject line. When submitting your application, please name and save your attachments with your first and last name in the title, for example; “John_Sample_Cover_Letter_AR001.doc” and “John_Sample_Resume_AR001.pdf”.
While we thank all applicants for their interest in the Alouette River Management Society and this position, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for virtual interviews (Zoom meetings). No phone calls please.
These positions are funded by the Government of Canada Summer Jobs program.