Job Posting: Canada Summer Jobs 2020
Job No.: AR002
Position Name: Education Outreach Program Coordinator
Position Type: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Wage: $16.50 per hour plus 4% vacation pay (required vehicle use/parking reimbursed at 0.54c/km)
Duration: 8 weeks (280 hours)
Anticipated Start Date: 29 June, 2020
Anticipated End Date: 25 August, 2020
Deadline for applications: Accepting now until the position is filled
The Alouette River Management Society (ARMS) is seeking two (2) Education Outreach Program Coordinators for our summer field work, virtual events, and online community engagement activities in Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows region.
The duties of the Education Outreach Program Coordinator include:
- Assist Environmental Projects and Communications Coordinator to plan, prepare and implement several virtual or RSVP community workshops e.g. beekeeping clinics, invasive plant pulls, Rivers Day activities
- Work with the Adopt-a-Block Program Coordinator to plan, prepare and deliver small-scale clean-up events
- Follow ARMS and COVID-19 protocol to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all staff, volunteers and public
- Conduct environmental monitoring at salmonid habitat locations
- Work with staff to plan our general outreach and communications strategies
- Create online content for environmental workshops
- Support social media strategy and online engagement with fellow non-profits and supporters
- Create videos and graphics (YouTube, Instagram stories)
- Set up and attend outreach booth at municipal parks
- Cold call for membership drive
- Assist with eco-camps activities where and when required
- Represent ARMS in a professional, reliable, and enthusiastic manner
- Remote work from home will be required
- Work outside, rain or shine, when required
- Complete other related office work as required by supervising staff
This is a Canada Summer Jobs position and all candidates must:
- Be between the ages of 15 and 30
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment*; and; • have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Some degree or diploma education or strong background in communications, digital storytelling experience. Also required some education or experience in biology, earth sciences, ecology, natural resources
Eligible applicants must satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Current certification in standard first aid AND a clear criminal record check obtained prior to the start date
- Access to your own laptop for duration of employment contract
- Valid and clear BC driver’s license and access to own vehicle (some work may require moving equipment, field gear)
The ideal candidate will possess the following core competencies:
- Creative self-starter
- Demonstrated social media savvy
- Have some prior knowledge of the Alouette River Management Society, Allco Fish Hatchery, ecological importance and history of Alouette Watershed.
- Passionate about freshwater ecology, salmon habitat and pollinator issues
- Proficient photographer
- Demonstrated team-player
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work outdoors rain or shine
In addition, preference will be given to candidates with:
- Current first aid certification
- Receive valuable employment experience in camp and education planning and delivery, environmental stewardship skills, leadership, marketing
- Gain experience working with children of various ages
- Enhance your communication, interpretive and public education skills
- Receive training on the ecology and history of the Alouette Watershed
- Contribute to the community by working for a grass-roots environmental group
ARMS is a not-for-profit registered charitable organization committed to the protection and enhancement of the Alouette River Watershed in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows, BC. We are dedicated to public awareness and education concerning the Alouette Watershed and environmental issues. ARMS is an equal opportunity employer that respects the individual human rights in Canada, including the values underlying the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as other rights. We are a small but dedicated group of local people who are passionate about making a difference to our waterways, ecological health and the quality of life for all species that depend on the Alouette River. The Executive Director and/or the Environmental Projects & Communications Coordinator are available at all times for staff to discuss any issues or conflicts they are experiencing. We also value and strive to foster a healthy work/life balance for all staff.
Please submit a cover letter that expresses directly why you are interested in this position and that clearly aligns with how you meet the requirements. Submit your resume that clearly outlines all relevant work experience (paid or unpaid) and include 2-3 references (email address and/or cell and work number).
Please email your resume and cover letter to Greta Borick-Cunningham, Executive Director at arms(at)alouetteriver.org with “Education Outreach Program Coordinator _AR001” in the subject line. When submitting your application, please name and save your attachments with your first and last name in the title, for example; “John_Sample_Cover_Letter_AR002.doc” and “John_Sample_Resume_AR002.pdf”.
While we thank all applicants for their interest in the Alouette River Management Society and this position, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. No phone calls please.
These positions are funded by the Government of Canada Summer Jobs program.